On September 30th I got the kids out of the bath like normal and started getting them dressed. Easton was being a little wild. He was jumping on the bed and I told him to get down. He got down from the bed and fell backward to the ground. At first I thought he was still playing around and got mad at him. Then I noticed he was staring right at me but was not responsive. He started snorting and I told Callan to go get mommy's phone so I could call 911. (He didn't. Now I know not to count on the 2 year old in an emergency!) Before Callan even got back though Easton had stopped snorting and started crying. He was responsive and confused. He didn't know what had happened. I asked him how he was feeling and if anything hurt. He said he was going to throw up so we walked to the bathroom, but I think he was just confused about what he was feeling cuz he never did. So we went back to his bed and he laid down and was really lethargic for a while. I called Tyson and told him I thought Easton had had a seizure. He had to leave his rotation on the first day and meet me at the emergency room.

Easton seemed perfectly fine afterward. They had to draw blood from his hand and placed an IV line just in case they needed it. He was so brave! He didn't even flinch or cry! The phlebotomist was shocked! All the blood work came back just fine and we were able to go home after a couple hours.
We are so lucky that there is a branch of Primary Children's Hospital at Riverton Hospital which is the closest one to our house. We were able to make an appointment to meet with a neurologist the following day. Primary Children's is so awesome. They make the kids so comfortable!
The neurologist said it probably was a seizure and recommended we do a couple tests just to make sure everything was ok. We were able to do the ECG right then and there, but the EEG room was being remodeled so we had to wait about a week for that.
ECG
EEG
The EEG was kind of a pain. We had to keep him up an extra hour the night before and wake him up an hour earlier in the morning (uh for Easton, that's 4:00). They made him do all sorts of things like look at a strobe light for 3 minutes and blow a pinwheel for 3 minutes - it was making me want to pass out just watching! Then he had to lay in that room completely pitch black all by himself for a half hour. They wanted him to fall asleep but I pretty much said there's no way he'll let that happen. After about 20 minutes he started asking for me so I had to go into the dark room and sit with the squirmy Cal. That didn't go well...
Anyway everything was normal. I still need to make a follow up appointment with the neurologist, but so far so good. Hopefully it will never happen again!




Scary! I'm glad everything seems to be turning out alright!
ReplyDelete