Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Purple

Have you ever taken the Color Code test? I've taken it a few times in high school and college and always get the same result: 50% red, 50% blue. I guess I get this from my mom, but I'm a firm believer in the color code. It accounts for my wanting to be in control of everything all the time as well as my extreme guilt issues when things don't go the way I plan.

Last night was a pretty good expression of both my red and blue sides. We had our ward BBQ from 6-9. Tyson had school and wouldn't be able to be there until 7. I had had a pretty good day with the kids and felt like I was handling everything great and could go to the BBQ without Tyson. Easton and I were starving so I though we would just go and get our food and Tyson would be there before we knew it. So we get to the pavilion and get find a place to set Callan's carseat. We got our buns ready for our hotdogs and hamburger and got all our fruit and dessert, but the line for the meat was HUGE. So I sat Easton down with the fruit thinking he would sit there and be good. But no. I got in the meat line and the next thing I know, Easton had run probably a half a mile away back to the parking lot. I asked my sweet neighbor, Linda, to hold my buns (lol) and ran after Easton. I begged him to stay close by me, but he ran away over and over again. One time he even crossed a street and ran completely out of the park. I was extremely mad and so embarrassed that I couldn't control him! By this time, Callan had started crying in his carseat and another lady from the ward was holding him and taking care of her own kids and trying to eat her food at the same time. I would guess I had run about 2 miles chasing Easton so I finally decided to just hold Easton in the meat line where he proceeded to bite me repeatedly on the shoulder (so hard I have a bruise this morning). Linda told me to go sit down with him and she would get my food. Thank heavens. So I sat with Easton and tried to talk to him and keep positive. Every time someone from the ward came up to talk to me, Easton would take the opportunity to run off. It literally took about a half hour to get the meat. By the time Tyson got there I was DONE. I told Tyson to hurry and get some food so we could go home.

I wanted to punish Easton by taking him home and he missed out on the train ride and all the other games they had planned. Only problem is, he didn't know and could have cared less. I felt like a terrible parent! When we pulled in the driveway Easton took Callan's binky and started sucking on it which he is told over and over again not to do. He just blatantly disobeys! He does it on purpose and it drives me insane! I didn't even turn off the car I was so mad. I took him in and put is PJs on, told him I loved him and goodnight. Then I had a little breakdown to say the least.

Tyson and I talked and decided to go in and try to talk to Easton. The conversation went a little bit like this...
"Easton, mommy and daddy love you."

"I know."

"And we just want you to obey."

"No. I do things by myself all the time cuz I'm a big boy."

"We try to teach you to obey so you can be safe. You ran into the road and you could have gotten hit by a car."

"Ok. Let's pretend this is a car (foot) and this is a road (other foot) and this can be a wall (book)."

HE DOESN'T CARE AT ALL! NO FORM OF DISCIPLINE WORKS ON THIS CHILD!

So...I have resorted to cracking open a book for the first time in five years. That's right people. I haven't read a book since high school. My friend, Lisa, brought me this book a while ago and swears by it (even though she doesn't have any kids:)

I've read the first three chapters. So far, it makes sense. We'll see if it does any good.

P.S. I know- 2 posts in one day? It probably looks like I have a lot of time on my hands - but really I'm just putting off all the things I don't want to do:)

7 comments:

  1. Well, I am glad to know that there is someone else out their who feels like I do. I am constantly feeling so overwhelmed with Micaela and Ryan's disobedience issues! I feel like Ryan's new quote is "No, mommy!"
    It sure is hard to handle these independent little kiddos sometimes!

    Hang in there...I am trying to do that too! I think I might have to dust off my copy of that book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Courtney,

    There may have been a time or two when I wished upon you a child such as yourself. I am sorry.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to add to the previous comment so that your dear blog readers will know what I am referring to. A Super-Smart and Super-Stubborn child can be quite a challenge to a first-time mom!! Once when Courtney was about 5 years old we were at Disneyland. Her dad was working and so I had her and the 2 younger sisters. When it was time to leave the park, Courtney threw a tantrum so unbelievably awful that the Disneyland police suddenly appeared out of the bushes, took Courtney into their safekeeping because they thought I was trying to kidnap her. When I finally convinced them that she was indeed my daughter I was just soooo mad! Seriously, I would have laughed if it had been one of the younger kids. But with your first it can drive you crazy!!! And that is just one Courtney story. There are more:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, Tyson definitely didn't score any points when he told me Easton acts just like me last night...Sometimes the truth is hard to hear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh shoot! Hang in there! I would suggest one of those child leashes, but your son is smarter than the average kid and would find some way to get loose! PS, I'm sure my mom has plenty of naughty Tyson stories, he's not so innocent!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so understand your frustration. In fact, we just got home from the store and had a strange "angering" moment with my 10 1/2 year-old. And Deryk randomly attacked another boy in the park this week. I just try to look into the future in 20 years and know that at least we care and are willing to teach them the things they need to know. Makes me even more angry when I see parents who don't care and would just ignore the child in the road. You will be amazingly blessed!!! And I know a few funny Courtney stories as well. I, on the other hand, don't have any stories. According to Grama, all her kids were perfect and never did anything wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Court I feel your pain! Parenting is hard I have a feeling my lincoln will be the same way he already thinks its funny when I get mad at him and does things more when I tell him not to. tell me if you like the book I may have to read it too!

    ReplyDelete