Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Word to the Wise...

To my friends who are expecting their second child (especially you Jana:) here's some advice:

DON'T EVER TAKE BOTH KIDS GROCERY SHOPPING EVER!

It is so not worth whatever food you thought you needed. I would rather starve than experience that again. The whole reason I planned to go grocery shopping was so that Easton could fall asleep on the way home. He didn't have a nap yesterday and I knew I could not handle that again. He usually naps at noon so I planned to leave by 11. By the time I got us all ready it was 12:30. I pretty much knew I was heading for disaster. Easton has been having an extremely hard time obeying lately (which is strange because he also has a new obsession with this book about obeying-we read it several times a day but apparently he's not understanding:) On the way out to the jeep I asked Easton to stop running around the yard and be careful not to step in a huge, muddy, puddle full of horse crap. So what did he do? Ran right over to it jumped in. Splashed up to his knees. I left Callan in the car, took Easton back inside where he tracked mud everywhere. I changed his outfit and we left for the store. It took an hour and a half to get $50 worth of groceries. You should have seen the number of "can't you control your child?" looks I got in that time. I thought I had it all planned out. Callan's carseat would go in the front of the cart and Easton would sit in the back and hold the food. Well Callan's carseat didn't fit in the front so he took up the entire back of the cart and Easton had to walk - aka run circles around the entire store destroying everything in his path. He knocked down a huge cardboard display, threw every toy or candy bar he could find into the cart, tried to play tag with an employee, and threw a can of soup into the back of the cart ON TO THE BABY because he insisted that dad needed it. We saw an obese man and Easton yelled, "Mom look at that huge guy!" We saw a Muslim lady and he yelled, "Mom look at that lady's hat!" I could not wait to get out of that store and home to my bed! I just had to stop at the bank and then I was home free. Now some advice to all the bank tellers out there:

DON'T ASK A PARENT IF THEIR KID CAN HAVE A SUCKER IF THE KID CAN HEAR YOU!

He ate his sucker the whole way home. Obviously he did not fall asleep. He was sticky from head to toe. I got him out of the car and asked him to go straight inside and don't play on the ice. I went to get Callan and heard him slip on the ice, slap against the driveway, and start bawling. I can't say I felt too sorry for the disobedient little stinker. (By the way it's not like I put him in the path of the ice - he had to make a deliberate detour to get there.) He wasn't hurt. He was just mad that his pants were "soaking wet." We came inside and I got him all ready for his nap on his bed. I told him I was going to go get the groceries and he needed to close his eyes and have a rest. When I came back with the groceries he was screaming and his room was 100% trashed. He had thrown everything within his reach (which is a lot when he stands on his bed.) After a major tantrum and me realizing I wasn't going to get any sleep after a long night up with the baby, I decided to rock him to sleep. I tried to sing him some primary songs. I started out with "As I have loved you.." and got the usual bossy remark "Not that song! I want 'We have been born as Nephi a bold!" So that's what I sang. Over and over and over.

Yes, sometimes I blog to cope with daily life. But oh, the memories we're making.

Now I have twenty minutes to feed the baby and wake Easton up from his precious sleep so I can go to the doctor and hold my second-born's hand while he gets cut off! It's a cruel world we live in.

14 comments:

  1. Wow...pretty sure I would have driven my car off a bridge lol! You are such a good mom to be so patient!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, this was me just 3 months ago. I promise it gets easier. Definitely try to find those little car carts though, they are a huge help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys were 16 months apart. I used two carts. Brandon sat in the one in front I was pushing and Justin was in the infant seat in the back of the one I was pulling. Yes it was a royal pain...but we learned to cope. Sorry your day was rough...but I think most of us moms can relate! Being a mother is the hardest job in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tee Hee. It gets easier...promise!

    As for what you are doing at the doctor's right now...that was by far one of the saddest things that I have ever watched. Hope you are doing ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha oh courtney your blog never ceases to disappoint! we will survive this together right??? as soon as the weather is warm we'll just have to meet at the park so we stay sane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow Court! That sounds like a lot of work! You are super mom :) your family picture is adorable!! I hope you get more sleep tonight... Sleep deprivation makes everything worse I swear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavenly Father sure got things wrong when he didn't give moms one extra hand for every child they have! Sorry the shopping trip was a rough one, but I sure had a ball reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came home to the cutest little nephew. I brought in an empty mcdonald's bag. "aunt kate, I have one of your fries?" then mom said he was leaving and he ran outside and ran circles in the yard from grama. haha!! i love him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney it does get better. I do have to say the second child is a change. Everything takes a little longer, because the oldest can do things "by themselves," and they don't want help. Good luck. One thing that helped our little family was putting Bricelyn in my Moby wrap, so Aspen could ride "on top." Aspen still wants to ride there, Costco carts work good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ....and that is the reason for my 10:00 at night grocery store trips! It does get better...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the laugh! I needed it! It's good to know Im not the only one with times like these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't stop laughing picturing the little stinker. I love that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Look at that huge guy!" is the best ever! I've actually asked people that kind of snicker and make faces at us if they want a turn with Deryk. Definitely easier to go late at night when Dad is home. That doesn't always happen either, so a good, descriptive list for the hubby to grab on the way home works great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh dear! i have fears of that! i know i will be having the same story to tell in about 5 months thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete