It seems like it's just been a week or two of weirdness around here. All my routines have been broken down and I feel like things are crazy! Tyson finished his rotation at the end of June so he has just been home most of the time. He picks up as many hours as he can here and there, but mostly he's just home. It's weird. We don't know exactly what to do with all our family togetherness. But I'm not complaining.
Tuesday Easton had a fever. It was really weird because he was acting fine. So I gave him some Motrin and let him play with a friend. (oops). He was really ornery and rude so we came home and he had a nap. When he woke up, the fever had returned so we pretty much sat around all day watching movies.
Wednesday was the 4th of July. We didn't have any plans, but I knew I wanted to do some organizing in the messy basement before we went out and played. Tyson had an itch to go to Strawberry Reservoir and we talked my parents into taking their boat. Just as we finished cleaning the basement, Tyson found out that he was supposed to be at work. He didn't know he was on the schedule, but hey, can't say no to time and a half. So we rescheduled boating for 4:00 and decided to pick Tyson up on the way.
After Tyson left, I made the kids mac & cheese and bananas. Easton said he couldn't eat his because it was hurting his mouth and I knew right away what was wrong. I looked in his mouth and saw little red sores and knew he had picked up hand foot and mouth. We did some Googling just to make sure and just went on with the day because it's a virus and there's nothing you can do about it.
Tyson was running late so my parents went ahead and the boys and I waited at the hospital. When he came out, I drove so that he could put on his swim suit and we talked about stopping for worms at a gas station in Heber. As we approached the gas station in the mouth of Provo canyon, Tyson said we better stop here and gas up just in case. So I pulled up to a pump and got out. Tyson started walking in to the station to buy worms and a Coke and we heard a horrifying crash. We both turned around to see a tiny car that had been t-boned by a huge truck on the 50mph road.
While I was still standing at the gas pump covering my mouth and repeating bad words (which were called for)... I noticed Tyson running through traffic to get to the car. He was the first one there. Three out of four people were completely unconscious. He told the man who called 911 there were maybe 2 dead and 2 alive. The girl in the backseat on the far side from the impact was awake, covered in blood, and screaming. Tyson ripped off the door and got her out since she had another person's body on her lap and needed to get out of the situation. He walked her to the sidewalk, ran back to the Jeep and got baby wipes to clean her up. Luckily the ambulances came FAST. By the time he got back to the car to check on the others we could hear them. The paramedics cut off the front of the car to get the others out. Tyson saw each of them get loaded up and he thinks he at least saw them each start to breathe.
I had taken the kids inside the gas station so they wouldn't see. Tyson came in to wash up. He was covered in blood and we had to throw away his shirt from Switzerland - not that it wasn't worth it. So we headed up to Strawberry feeling absolutely sick to our stomachs and filled with anxiety over just being in a car.
We felt so grateful to make it there safely and had a good time fishing and enjoying the beautiful cool weather. My mom brought KFC and Callan helped himself to several pieces.
I brought strawberries, Easton's favorite, but he couldn't (wouldn't) eat them because he said they hurt his mouth too bad. :(
Callan was acting really whiney and we wondered if he was sick too. Sure enough! His rash appeared the next day!
Easton loved playing with the jigs.
We didn't catch a single fish! We almost caught three, but they were too tricky for us.
We had to stop at Timp on the way home to get Tyson's car, so he went in to try to find out any information on the car accident. They had one of the girls there that had a chest tube and liver lacerations and they knew the driver was at a different hospital in extremely critical condition. As morbid as it sounds, I have been reading the obituaries every morning and I haven't seen anyone that could have been them! So we're just telling ourselves they're all ok.
I headed home with the boys and we enjoyed the Thanksgiving Point fireworks from our driveway. I think that was my favorite part of the day - holding those boys and feeling so blessed.
Thursday and Friday I worked. On the way home one day I found out that several of my cousins' kids have hand foot and mouth. Apparently they all caught it from the reunion - possibly from some poop that someone fished out of Willard Bay - who knows.
Saturday Tyson and I had to take pictures for someone and Aunties watched the boys. I sent some sparklers with Easton and he was so excited to do them when we got home.
After the sparklers were gone Easton burst into tears to Grandpa and Grandpa found a special jumbo sparkler hiding in the garage. It made his day!
We've spent an entire week without playing with friends and practically being quarantined to the house and I think the germs are finally gone! Here's hoping we get back to normal!













Oh goodness! That is quite the week.
ReplyDeleteThat must have been terrifying. Hoping this week is a little more relaxing for you.
I feel a little queasy now about that accident. crossies that everyone is ok. glad that you were ok!
ReplyDelete