Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Update

Callan is doing so well! I'm sitting here with him and I took the cutest pictures...but I forgot the dang cord to put them on the computer! So for now you'll just get a little update. He is now OFFICIALLY breathing on his own. I misunderstood before when I was still at the hospital and someone told me he was breathing on his own (like I said in the last post). They just meant he was making the Surfactant and didn't need to be intubated. He had a CPAP for the first day and yesterday afternoon they changed it to just a normal nasal cannula with just a little bit of oxygen. Today when I got here the nasal cannula was out! He looks so much better without all the tape and tubes on his face! He has one little orange tube that goes through his nose and straight down to his belly to feed him. This tube doesn't seem to bother him at all. He also got his hair washed so he's looking even more soft and fuzzy.

Lots of people are wondering why we can't hold him and it is because of an IV line that he has through his bellybutton. He used to have two and they were able to take one out yesterday. The one that he has now they use to give him his fluids and lipids and antibiotics. As they increase his milk feedings (through his nose) his fluids and lipids through that line will decrease and then they will be able to remove it. They make it sound like it should be any time now, but no one can really say. Also, he is really liking his binky which is a good sign he will be ready to nurse soon.

Thank you to everyone who has been helping us out! We have been so well taken care of. We were able to have mom, dad, and Easton all home together last night and it was really nice to feel somewhat back to normal. All of our parents and siblings have helped so much with Easton since Tyson is still working until Callan comes home. My mom had my house all clean when I got home and Arlene has been searching for all my baby stuff in storage in Payson. My cute visiting teacher (who I just barely met) brought some delicious dinner and our home teacher stopped by to make sure we had his number and everything we need. It's a wonderful thing to have the support that the church provides us through our ward members.

We just feel so blessed! Check back tonight and hopefully I'll have those pictures uploaded.

2 comments:

  1. glad to hear callan is doing well, still can't believe he is here! can't wait to see you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats you guys! So glad he is doing well, he is sure cute!!! Let me know if you ever need help with Easton or need anything. Crew loves Easton! :) Love you guys, he's in our prayers! Keep us posted (unlike what I do on my blog)

    ReplyDelete