Friday, January 14, 2011

January Thus Far

I can't believe January is half-way gone. We moved into our new basement apartment in Sandy on New Year's Eve. We had an apartment in Midvale lined up that was a brand new, beautiful, and, unfortunately, government subsidized. That meant there were income restrictions (meaning you had to make under a certain amount of money.) We didn't think we had any problem meeting that requirement, but Tyson is still listed as an employee at Timpanogos Hospital because he fills in there about once a month. When the apartment place called Timpanogos HR, they reported that he works 12 hours per week (which he doesn't) because that is the maximum he could work at his current employee status. Long story short, the apartment complex was really rude, thought we were being fraudulent, wasn't willing to work with us, told us we couldn't live there, left us with less than two weeks to find a new place.

We found this basement apartment on KSL and it has definitely been a blessing that the first apartment didn't work out. The couple that lived here before had paid through December and wanted to move out on the first of January, but we told them we really needed to move in on Dec. 31st because that's when our lease ended. Tyson mentioned that we would be willing to clean the apartment if it meant getting in on the day we needed... We didn't know what we were getting ourselves into with that offer:)

We are so grateful for all the help we received from our families! We had an $800 deposit at our previous apartment which our ward members warned us we will probably never see again, but we cleaned that place like you wouldn't believe because we want our money back, dang it! After we cleaned there and loaded the truck, we headed up to Sandy. The other residents were still here! We waited for them to pack a few last things and leave. When I walked in to our new house I almost cried. They had a black lab living here in a kennel in the bedroom and the entire house reeked of wet dog! It was terrible. When Arlene filled the kitchen sink with bleach I started to feel better right away. The moms scrubbed and scrubbed until there was hardly anything left for me to do! The smell lingered for a few days, but I think we have it under control now. We burn a lot of candles anyway. Overall, it is turning out really cute and I'm liking the arrangement more and more. We are picking up the last piece of Easton's furniture tonight and getting it all set up. After that I'll take some pictures.

We celebrated Tyson's 26th Birthday on January 5th. I can't believe he is so old! We weren't really going to celebrate, but I felt like I wanted to do something for him because he has worked so hard getting us moved! He has a Reese's Peanut Butter cup obsession so I threw together a quick Peanut Butter Fudge cake (not my favorite) and got some balloons. My mom and Collette stopped by for the quick party. From Easton and I he got some hair clippers so he can cut his own hair like he's been wanting to and clothes. My family got him a zero degree sleeping bag, and he hasn't decided yet what he wants to buy with the birthday money from his family.


We spent the end of December and all of January so far with this stupid cold. (The sickness kind, not the weather-although that has also been stupid and cold.) Tyson had the worst cough I've ever heard and was up all night every night for a long long time. We just couldn't get over it! I finally got an antibiotic from my OB and we're pretty much better with the exception of some coughing now and then. We went to our new ward last Sunday and were amazed at how nice and welcoming everyone was. People stayed after sacrament to meet us and introduce themselves and it seems like a really great ward. We left after sacrament meeting because of our constant coughing and Easton was so sad he didn't get to go to nursery. Hopefully this week!

I'm still working in Spanish Fork two days a week, and I'm surprised it only takes me 40 minutes to get there. The drive is not bad at all. Yesterday I did NOT want to go to work and I said that to Easton. He started begging me not to go to work and to stay home with him. I HATE that. I told him, "I have to go to work because that's how I get money to buy you new toys." Without missing a beat he responded with, "I have enough toys in my room mom! Stay home with me!" Tear jerker, I know.

All in all, 2011 has brought us lots of blessings so far! Hopefully the next post will be a little more exciting and picture-ful.

5 comments:

  1. Does this mean I get to see you guys tonight if you're coming to pick up the last piece of furniture?!! I hope so! I can't wait to see the new place, I've heard great things about it. Easton always tells me about his new house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad everything is working out! hopefully we can get together soon now that your up here in our neck of the woods. cant wait to see pics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't to see pics of your new place! So are you planning on staying home after baby number two is born? Easton is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys rock, Courtney- I seriously have the coolest cousins! Best of luck! -brian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this mean that you get to play with me now?!

    ReplyDelete