Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hoping to Laugh at This One Day...

We are getting more and more settled in every day and are LOVING our new place. It is so nice to have this much space! But let me tell you, we had some SERIOUS ISSUES with getting the upstairs painted! We picked out a gray paint “with brown undertones” and we both loved it. I had purchased a Groupon right when we found out we were closing for $120 worth of Kwal paint for $60. So I thought it was this great deal. We bought 4 gallons of this “Stiletto” paint that we loved. After we painted the first coat it didn’t look all that great, but we figured the second coat would make it better. After the second coat dried for a day I showed up at the house and was horrified. There were seriously rectangles from the paint rollers all over the walls! And where it was cut in was a completely different color! There were various shades of brown and gray rectangles everywhere! I was so mad! I texted a picture of the walls to my painter friend and he said, “did you stir the paint?” Ohhhhhhhhhh, is that what those wooden stick thingies they give you are for????? No, we didn’t stir the paint! I don’t know why I didn’t think of this before!


At that point we had had some other issues with Kwal and had used up our Groupon. Plus Kwal’s closes at 3:00 on Saturdays! So annoying. So we went to Lowe’s. They said, “no problem - we have the formula for that color right here in our computer.” We got 4 gallons of Stiletto from Lowe’s. We took it home and Tyson stirred the crap out of it. The more he stirred, the more the brown in the paint pooled into the middle. There was an obvious problem with the formula. We took it back and they think the rust color wasn’t compatible with the base paint. We picked a whole new color (which is remarkably close to the original stiletto) and started from square one. Four gallons of Slate Pebble. We finally got it all done in time for the carpet to be laid, but decided to save the bathrooms until later since they didn’t need to be done before the carpet.


We finally got around to the bathrooms last Wednesday. I took the kids over to my mom’s while Tyson got started. Then I came home to this.


Apparently he knocked the can (the last remaining can) off the bathtub and it popped open and spilled all over the linoleum and filled the bathtub. Fantastic. Tyson couldn’t go anywhere because his feet were covered in paint. He just had to stand there and watch the paint spread. Luckily I got home within 5 minutes but had to take a picture while we was stranded before helping him:) We decided to just use the paint off of the floor since it was all we had left. So the floor became the paint tray. We didn’t dare dip in the master bathroom and run down the carpeted hallway to the other bathroom to paint. So we threw away the rest of the paint and Tyson had to get yet another gallon. (Up to 13 now - just on the upstairs!)


By the way - this is latex paint. If you dump a bottle of paint thinner on latex paint, it makes it extremely hard to get off! The places that I didn’t poor paint thinner on peeled right up! The rest has taken hours of scrubbing! Just a little FYI in case this ever happens to you:)


PS - we don't have internet - have you noticed? This is coming to you from a Starbucks very far away from my house:)

6 comments:

  1. What are we going to do about that internet situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the joys.

    Hey, well at least you can scream about it at the top of your lungs within the confines of your own walls, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, No! I am so sorry about all of the painting problems.

    I hope that things calm down...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Painting is a pain in and of itself...not to mention all that! I probably would have burned the newly bought house down in a fit of rage lol. We just painted the office downstairs, and it about killed me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man i'm so sorry!!! oh the joys of being a home owner never end!!! cant wait to see your place and we'll have everyone over one of these nights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you got a picture of this! :) I think your title is right... one day you WILL be able to laugh about it, and you'll love having the pictures to look back on! I hope you're doing well- I haven't seen you or your family in a while!

    ReplyDelete