Saturday, February 5, 2011

Progress

Just a quick note about Callan's feedings. I had the stages a little wrong in my last post, but now I have it figured out. So...

Stage 1: 1 full feed (10min) per 12 hour shift and must gain 10g/kg/day for 2 consecutive days.

Stage 2: 2 full feeds (10min) per 12 hour shift and must gain 10g/kg/day for 2 consecutive days.

Stage 3: 3 full feeds (10min) per 12 hour shift and must gain 10g/kg/day for 24 hours.

Stage 4: Neonatologist determines a certain volume that must be consumed within a 12 hour period. He can eat every 2-4 hours whenever he wants to. Must consume the determined volume for 24 hours and gain 10g/kg/day.

So really, it could be faster than I originally calculated. Today he did both full feeds and gained his weight so we're making progress! I am feeling a LOT of stress over this eating thing because I feel like I'm partly to blame if he doesn't do it. I know I shouldn't because developmentally he shouldn't even be able to breastfeed yet, but I can't help it:)

He weighs 2115 grams now so 4lbs 10oz ish. Almost back to his birth weight. We're sure proud of our little guy and keeping our fingers crossed for passing off stage 1 tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. He is so tiny! Good luck with his feedings! I hope he keeps doing well and gaining weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a tough little guy! Be sure to let things out and have a good cry every now and then. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete