Thursday, February 10, 2011

Light at the End of the Tunnel

I'm feeling a little better since my last post. There were a few days of frustration and confusion because that night with hiccup nurse, Callan had an oxygen desat event. His oxygen frequently goes down in what they call "self-resolving" desats. We'll see his oxygen on his monitor drop down for a while and sometimes his upper lip will turn a little blue, but it comes right back up quickly and on his own. Well that night, a nurse that wasn't even caring for Callan came in to his room and charted that he had oxygen desaturation which required vigorous stimulation for over a minute. It was so random because no one really seems to know who charted it or why. The next morning when I got to the hospital, his nurse told me about his desat event and said that the nurse saw milk bubbles in his mouth so they decided he was suffering from reflux. They started thickening his milk with a thickener to help it stay down in his stomach. This was all just so weird to me because he hadn't shown any sign of reflux (and hasn't still). The only reason I'm going along with it is that the neonatologist is attributing his oxygen desat to having milk in his mouth due to reflux so he isn't making him stay 7 days from that event.

I know that was a lot of medical information - but I wanted to have it recorded. Anyway, they took his NG tube out a few hours ago and he passed his hearing and carseat test. We've watched all the videos we have to watch and have completed all of our discharge education. I just have to take a CPR class tonight and we're thinking SATURDAY IS THE DAY! Although I've learned throughout this process not to bank on anything anyone tells me:)

Here's a picture update...

Grandpa Cook
Grandma Cook

First Bottle

Carseat Test
...and my sweet Easton and his horse.

Love that smile.

6 comments:

  1. yay we'll pray for saturday!!! and easton is still just as cute as ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with everything! I wonder if you have had the chance to meet other parents in a similar situation. I would think having people to talk to that know how you feel would be helpful. You probably get the chance to see, even from a distance, other preemie babies in the NICU. I hope you are holding up well and that all goes well for a Saturday homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Courtney -

    My heart just melts looking at these pictures. Good luck with everything this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that smile too. I've got a big huge soft spot for that Easton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! so glad to hear such good news! Both your boys are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so bad for you two! Ellie had to be put back in the hospital for only 1 day and I hated every minute of it! I can't imagine how you guys are feeling!
    He is so cute, I love all of his dark hair. I hope you guys get to come home and everything goes perfect!

    ReplyDelete