Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Easton Goes to the Dentist

Last summer, Tyson took a break from work so that he could really focus on school for a while. During that time, we signed Easton up for medicaid while we didn't have insurance and he's actually qualified ever since. The state has this thing called the Check System where they check in on you all the time to see if kids have missed an immunization or a wellness check up. Whenever they send reminder letters I think to myself what kind of mother doesn't know to take their kid in for their wellness visits? I got a call the other day from a lady that said,
"Did you know that your son should have had a dental check up when he was 18 months old?"
"Uh...no."
"Well, you need to make him an appointment right away."
I guess I missed that one. I thought they were supposed to be two. Anyway, because Tyson has been blessed with this great new job, Easton's medicaid will be ending this month so I Googled "Orem pediatric dentist" and made an appointment as soon as I could with the first dentist on the list. BIG MISTAKE! The office staff was really nice when I made the appointment on Monday. They asked if there were any special concerns with Easton and how I found their office. We made an appt for today, Wednesday. So last night, we're all in bed (we go to bed at 9:00 now because Tyson has to wake up so early) and my phone starts ringing. It was 9:45 and I didn't recognize the number, but I answered it.

Someone said, "Hi Easton! Easton? Easton?"
"This is Easton's mom."
"Oh sorry Ms. Page, this is Dr. Howell, the dentist. I was just reviewing my schedule for tomorrow and would like to ask you a few questions."

Guess what he asked me? For the second time, are there any special concerns with Easton and how did you find our office. I talked to him for 10 minutes so it was nearly 10:00 when I hung up and then I laid there half the night wondering if I should cancel the appointment or take my son to this freak! He sounded like he was high (I talk to people who are high all day at work so I think I would know) and who calls that late???

I decided to go ahead and just get the appointment over with. Easton was actually really excited. He knew they were going to brush his teeth and he was going to say "aaahh" and get a prize. We got to the office and the hyperactive superfriendly hygienist took us on a tour of the office. Then we sat down and guess what she asked me. Are there any special concerns with Easton and how did you find our office. Holy cow this is the third time! I told you, I googled you! Easton was so excited to sit up in the chair! I can't get over how big he looks!
The girl had him pick out a tooth brush and then used it to brush his teeth really well. Then he did x-rays in the butterfly room. He did a great job keeping his eyes on all the butterflies on the ceiling during his pictures.
After that, the dentist came in wearing some huge blue paper smock, a blue mask, and some massive goggles. What a nice way to introduce yourself to a one year old! He had ZERO bedside manner and didn't say a word to Easton. Luckily I had spent the whole morning telling Easton how nice the dentist was and building this dumb guy up in Easton's mind. The doctor sat down and asked me ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL CONCERNS WITH EASTON AND HOW DID YOU FIND OUR OFFICE?!!! If I had the nerve I would have said, "Don't you remember you called me in the middle of the night and asked me already? Or were you high on laughing gas?" The only other thing the doctor said to me was that I would need to hold Easton's arms and legs down to restrain him. Are you kidding me? Easton was fine. He painted on some sticky fluoride crap on his teeth that has to stay on for 24 hours. It is yellow goo and he got it all over Easton's eyebrow and lips and it WILL NOT come off. He was really a freak. We will not be going back. Easton has no cavities and did an AWESOME job. He said "eeeeeee" and "aaaaaahhh" perfectly and I couldn't have been more proud. He chose a tiny zebra out of the treasure chest and we got to go to Sonic and get a free ice cream.
BRAIN FREEZE!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for ending with the brain freeze. That is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Mike didn't say that, it was me! Shoot, getting back to work now......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found myself getting angry as I read this post! I get so upset when people don't treat my little East like the Prince he is! I'm not sure if I should laugh or feel bad at the brain freeze pic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a smart mom for planting in his head early on that the dentist is a fun place! I dread the dentist still to this day! Cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the dentist today too! East is so so so cute! Courtney I can not wait until you have this one!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha so funny!!! that was the best post ever! what a freak!!! i cant bleave he did so well that is awhsome!! so how did you hear about this office.... :) lol lol kelsey what are you doing bloging at work :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy lame dentist! I've always been told to take them in at 3 years. Definitely find someone else. And I wouldn't hold back telling them they asked you the same question over and over. I am so annoyed now. Maybe I will call them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a nightmare! that guy sounds nuts! but a funny story someday you'll look back and laugh right? how far along are you now?

    ReplyDelete