As for Tyson, he isn't exactly healed, but lots of people have been asking about him so I thought I'd hurry and post the latest. We were able to see the specialist last Wednesday because they had a cancellation. We really liked Dr. Riddle. He looked at Tyson's previous lab work and felt that since his calcium was so high and his parathyroid hormone (PTH) was in normal range that it was looking more like cancer (most likely bone or lung) than hyperparathyroidism. He ordered more blood tests and said he would schedule a PET/CT scan after he received those results. They called with the results of his blood work Friday night while we were in the temple and couldn't leave a message. So that made for a long weekend of wondering!
We found out this morning that his calcium was still very high at 11.7 (normal is 8.4-10.1 -- this was down from 11.9 in his last test) and his PTH was 106 (The normal range is 12-88 -- this is way up from his last test). To sum it all up this is good news. It points more towards a benign parathyroid tumor than to cancer. The doctor is going to call Tyson and discuss it all a little later today and hopefully get a scan scheduled. That's all we know for now. It's not much, but we feel good about the way things are heading. Thanks for your concern everybody!




Yeah for Easton.
ReplyDeleteHope everything goes ok with Tyson. We'll keep you in our prayers.
Love ya
No kidding a long weekend of wondering! that would be so frightening! I am glad it hear its not cancer though! I hope you can figure out exactly what is going on and get it fixed soon. Let me know if you need anything, anything...k.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that things are looking up! That rash looked horrible and I can see why you didn't want to ride it out, poor little guy!
ReplyDeleteHow scary! I am glad things are looking better, but we will still keep you guys in our prayers!
ReplyDeleteLet us know if there is anything we can do to help you!
You all are way too young to have such heavy concerns. I hope you get good answers and real quick.
ReplyDeleteOh, I am way worried about Tyson, but Parathyroid is a lot better than bone cancer. I bet Arlene and you are worried sick about him! Keep us up to date on him. Stacey
ReplyDeleteomg how scarry!!! i am glad that it is kinda good news i guess, but still a tummer? scarry! i hope he can get another scan asap and get filling better soon! if you need anything...i mean anything please let me know!! i will watch easten or anything you need to get through all this mess! good luck. i wish you all well!
ReplyDelete